Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Bowel Wars

“Jedi Master Skywalker, this is Rebel Base, we have just received a communiqué from the Supreme Ewok Ruler that Imperial forces have set up an enemy fortress on their home planet of Endor.”
“Roger that, Rebel Base. Gold Leader, Red Leader, chart a course for Endor. We’re going in. Vader and his men won’t be taking control of that planet today. Not as long as I’m in charge.”
“Master Skywalker, this is Gold Leader, I have a visual lock on the Imperial stronghold, awaiting orders to blast.”
“Red Leader here, I’m locked on target and prepared to blast on command.”
“Gold Leader, Red Leader; fire at will, fire at will! May the force be with you.”
“Master Skywalker, Rebel Base here. We are receiving distress signals from Rebels stationed on the planet of Endor. Cease fire! I repeat, cease firing!”
“Skywalker to Base, what’s going on here?”
“Rebel Base here, it appears that we have been seriously deceived! That communiqué did not in fact come from the Ewoks it came from the Empire itself! We have mistakenly killed hundreds of Rebel troops with…friendly fire!”
“NOOOOOOOOO!”
This is a layman’s illustration of what it’s like to have Crohns Disease. The planet of Endor represents more than a foot of my small bowel. Skywalker and his forces represent my overactive immune system that innocently, and yet callously attacks my Endor, er I mean ileum, er I mean small bowel. You see, my immune system views my small bowel as an enemy that needs to be taken out. And apparently I have a pretty darn good immune system because it’s doing quite a number on my bowel. At this point in time, my Endor is suffering severe casualties, and there’s nothing left for it to do, but evacuate. I spend countless hours in the evacuation chamber hoping that I remembered to purchase the extra soft variety of T.P. and not the extra strong variety.
It pains me to think that one part of my being would cruelly attack another part of my being. I don’t know what might happen if I failed to take my medications to suppress my immune system. It may very well try to take over the world! But that’s how it is when we willfully allow sin in our lives. It’s like giving Satan an open invitation to set up housekeeping in your soul. Only he’s not a good houseguest. He won’t be making brownies for you. He’ll set up traps for you to fall into…traps that you can’t get out of on your own.
So don’t give Satan any opportunity to create a foothold in your life. Fill your soul with Jesus, and he will keep your “Rebel Base” safe from all harm. In the mean time I’ll go take more meds to suppress this “Imperialistic” immune system of mine. I wouldn’t want to put an end to the world as we know it!

3 comments:

nettiefudgesworld said...

Hey girl:

Love it. Your way of comparing your illness with Satan's attack on each of us worked. Got me thinking of when I give him a foothold. Girlfriend, know you're in my prayers.

nettie

jer37 said...

WHAT A GREAT ILLUSTRATIVE TESTIMONY. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, BUT I'M STILL YOUR DAD SO I MUST CORRECT ONE LINE OF YOUR BLOG."TRAPS THAT YOU CAN'T GET OUT OF ON YOUR OWN. LOVE YA, DAD

Kaitlin a.k.a. Gilbert said...

LOL!!!! I know that you have a serious condition, but I am so glad that you can make me laugh about it. Satan making brownies... kind like you making brownies!!!!! :D