Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Please Pass The Salt

I just finished writing a Christian sketch over Matthew 5:13-16. I call it "Please Pass The Salt". The skit begins with a girl pouring a box of salt onto a plate of food. Her friend comes in and warns her of the dangers of using too much salt on her food. The girl promptly informs her friend that she read in the Bible that "we are the salt of the earth, but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be made salty? It's good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men." The friend goes on to tell her that Jesus wants Christians to influence society just like salt influences food. But sometimes I find myself acting like the girl in the skit. I feel like I'm losing my saltiness, I should be thrown out and trampled underfoot. How did I get this way? I'm a Christian, I'm not supposed to lose my saltiness. But then I have to ask myself, what am I doing to impact others for Christ, and I have to admit; sometimes it's not very much. So what can we do, obviously eating a box of salt won't help. Then God revealed this verse to me, "You know the message God sent, tell the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all." Acts 10:36. This is the answer, GO, TELL, GOOD NEWS, PEACE, JESUS CHRIST! It's all in there! The skit ends with the girl abandoning her plate of salt and reaching for a flashlight. Her friend questions her about the flashlight and she goes on to tell her that she obviously never read Matthew 5:14-16 where Jesus says we are the light of the world. What about you. Do you need to have the salt passed your way?

2 comments:

jer37 said...

INSPIRING, SOMETIMES I THINK MY SALT HAS HARDENED IN MY ARTERIES. DAD

Kaitlin a.k.a. Gilbert said...

That was an awesom skit. I so feel the same way sometimes. Am I really making an impact? Are others seeing Christ in me? Am I representing my Lord and Savior in a way that pleases Him? Thank God, He knows I am not perfect.