Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What’s In A Name – The Names of God – YAHWEH


Names were very significant in biblical times. Names had meaning reflecting everything from the hopes of the mother to certain circumstances surrounding the child’s birth. A name could also reveal a divine purpose or perhaps a prophecy concerning the child’s future.
One of these instances is seen in the book of Ruth with Naomi, the mother-in-law of Ruth. Naomi means “pleasantness,” but when she becomes greatly afflicted following the death of her husband and sons, Naomi asks to be called, Mara, meaning “bitterness.”
Another reference to the meaning of a name occurs in 1 Chronicles 4:9 which states that Jabez was so named because his mother gave birth to him in pain. The actual word meaning is “sorrow.” Poor guy! I’d hate to carry that around my whole life.
Our obsession with names may be the reason Moses felt the need to know the name of the one who addressed him from the burning bush.
Then Moses said to God, “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them” And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, “I AM has sent me to you.’” Exodus 3:13-14
The name God provided was Yahweh, LORD, Jehovah, Self-Existent One. By telling His name, God was saying He wanted to start a relationship with Moses…that He was willing to communicate with him. God also revealed His character by stating His name.
I am the Lord; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols. Isaiah 42:8
Holy Father, Yahweh, I praise your holy name. Yours is the name above all names and there is none like You. Thank You for revealing Yourself to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses and even to believers today. Without you in this world and in my heart I would want to be called Mara just as Naomi did. Praise be to Yahweh, the great I AM!

No comments: