Saturday, May 9, 2009

I Was Visited By A Demon!


If ever I’ve read a book I think will stay with me for days to come, it’s DEMON A MEMOIR. The author brilliantly weaves a mesmerizing tale of a man, lost in his own failed life and a demon (a fallen angel) intent on having his story published by that man.

Clay is an editor in Boston, trying to recover from a devastating divorce. The demon, Lucian, gives a beautiful account of the Biblical story from his own point of view. Lucian’s story begins at pre-creation and ends at the resurrection. The fantastic thing about hearing the story as the demon saw it unfold is how passionate he is to relate it to clueless Clay who thinks the Bible stories from his youth were just that—stories.

There are so many incredible aspects of this book that it’s hard to know which part to talk about. But one thing that struck me was when Clay asked the demon whether or not he was going to hell. One scene in particular has Lucian explaining the outcome of a works based life. Lucian says.

“If you insist on being judged by the merit of your works, El will honor that. I’ve seen it many times. But what I haven’t seen is anyone who measured up. Maybe you’ll be the first, hmm?”

Wow! Demon is a MUST read for sinner and saint alike. But you have to ask yourself, is it worth spending twelve, fifteen bucks for a book you’re going to finish in one maybe two days because you can’t put it down! Just kidding, Demon is well worth the money.

DEMON A MEMOIR is the first novel by Tosca Lee, a former Mrs. Nebraska and Smith College graduate. I briefly met Tosca at a book signing on my recent trip to Mount Hermon, CA. I asked her to autograph the book for my husband, Dan. She signed the book then told me, “Since the book is about a man who becomes obsessed with a demon, I wrote, Dan how does your story end?” Oooooh! This FIRST book was so very well written, (a Christy Award Nominee) I will surely buy Tosca’s second novel, “Havah, The Story of Eve.”

3 comments:

Karen Barnett said...

This sounds very interesting. I'll have to pick it up!

Annette O’Hare said...

This was a great read. My hubby and I read it together and discussed it along the way. Fun!

Tosca said...

Annette, thank you so much for reading and posting about Demon. It was a pleasure to meet you!