Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Top Ten Things Overheard at 2009 Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference


10. A pitch is selling yourself and your ideas to someone you’ve never met in say, 30 to 45 seconds. No pressure—if you’re ready that is. Austin Boyd, Author, Speaker

9. Things to remember while at conference. Keep your hands open to God; maintain a teachable spirit; pace yourself, it’s a process. Mona Hodgson, Author

8. Three most important things to teens today. Friends, friends, friends. Robert Irvin, Acquisitions Editor, Standard Publishing

7. There is no one best way to write a novel. But to get published you need, content, craft and connections. Randal Ingermanson, Author, Mentor, Genius

6. To the postmodern generation, everything is gray, there is no black and white. Jesse Florea, Acquisitions Editor, Focus on the Family

5. Editor appointments at writer’s conferences are like speed dating. You must be prepared and confident. Tell me what the story is about. Don’t hand me your one-sheet and expect me to read it while you stare at the part in my hair. Know who your audience is and have questions ready to ask me. Sue Brower, Senior Acquisitions Editor, Zondervan

4. I’ll critique anything you bring me, fiction, nonfiction, zombie erotica. James Scott Bell, Author

3. Yes, the children’s market is slow right now, but did you know there are more children now than all the baby boomers put together. Those kids are going to read our books. Christine Tangvald, Author, Speaker

2. Love the idea of a dog rescue mystery…but it doesn’t really fit with what I’m doing. But it looks clever and fun! Keep at it! Shannon Marchese, Editor, WaterBrook Publishing

1. Thank You, God for writing the all time best seller. Anonymous, heard during prayer time

2 comments:

Karen Barnett said...

Annette, These are great! I remember JSB saying that... so funny. My fav of the week was another anonymous prayer -- "Thank you God that my name is already written on a book: the book of life."

Annette O’Hare said...

Oh Karen you are so right. What a wonderful memory. Thanks for visiting my blog.