Thursday, April 16, 2009

I Once Was a Star


Acting has always been a great love of mine. Probably the reason why I’ve lent much time to the writing of plays and skits. Last week I was pleased to hear the words, “Mama, I got a part in the school play!” Pure joy to my ears. Yes, the thought of making a peanut costume for my eight-year-old son excites me to no end.

What is it about the stage that draws me in like a moth to a flame? Is it the chance to become someone or something else? Is it the love for your character you feel from of the audience—or the hatred? Is it the opportunity to be the center of attention? Perhaps.

Yes, I was Frosty the Snowman in the first grade play. I was on top of the world as the seven year old goddess of the cafetorium stage. Imagine my disappointment when the following year I was relegated to chorus member; made to wear a felt skirt and Mickey Mouse ears. I don’t remember any plays after that. You can only make it to the ranks of Frosty once in a lifetime.

My daughter has adopted my flare for acting as well. She was, after all, chosen to play the starring role of Big Bertha Lee in her first grade play, “Three Nanny Goats Gruff.” And yes, her performance was positively stunning.

I’ve had some interesting roles in recent years. There was Nanna in “The Plane Truth About Christmas,” where I played a rapping grandma. That was fun. I performed another rap number in the children’s play starring Hans Bronson. I concocted my own version of Mini Pearl complete with a gingham dress and a price tag hanging from my hat. One of the most fun roles was playing the parts of Fibber McGee and Molly with my husband. He’s a great actor too.

So how do you relate something of God to the ignoble art of acting? Well, let’s see. The ability to act is surely a gift from the Almighty. Just as we have received gifts such as singing or public speaking, acting is equally a gift from God. And there are many actors in the Bible as well. Take a look at Abraham and Sarah, their brother/sister act was so convincing a king believed them. Well, I guess that was actually lying, not acting.

In closing, I don’t think acting is looked down on by God unless the performance is a promotion of evil or if the role causes you to do something Biblically incorrect. Therefore go thou and act…be a clown, or even Frosty the Snowman should the chance come along. Or in my son’s case, go nuts…be the peanut!

No comments: