Monday, March 2, 2009

DragonSpell by: Donita K. Paul


Fantasy novels have never been my cup of tea. As a youth, I never would have been caught reading The Lord Of The Rings. Now mysteries on the other hand…. But now that I have a son who lives in a world of dragons, sword fights and the like, I succumbed and read Dragonspell by Donita K. Paul. I must admit, I really enjoyed it.

Now this is young adult Christian fantasy done right. Kale Alerion, a young slave girl from the town River Away, is on her way to be trained in The Hall when two of Paladin’s servants whisk her away on a quest to find the Meech dragon egg. She is thrown into a world of adventure and otherworldly intrigue. Along the way Kale finds she has gifts she knew nothing about. She also receives a first time glimpse at her own faith.

Meeting Wulder, the Supreme Being in the story and Paladin, the embodiment of Wulder, Kale finds out the tales she heard in the tavern she worked in, aren’t really tales at all. Through the quest for the mysterious Meech egg, Kale learns that there is a big difference in being a slave and becoming a servant.

The book is definitely written for an older audience—middle grade and up due to its length and difficult verbiage. I had to explain some of the concepts on a more basic level for my eight-year-old to understand. Overall, Ms. Paul did a wonderful job in marrying the fantasy concepts of the book to the Christian faith in a way that wasn’t disrespectful in the least. I would highly recommend this book to any parent searching for a Christian alternative to secular fantasy books.

I can’t wait to read the sequel book in the DragonKeeper Chronicles…Dragonquest!

2 comments:

Donita K. Paul said...

Thank you for your review. I appreciate it when parents step in a give a vote of confidence on the appropriateness of the Dragon Keeper Chronicles. I'm also just plan pleased that you liked it!

Annette O’Hare said...

Thanks Ms. Paul. I'm honored to have you stop by and leave your comment. Keep up the good work fellow dragon lover!