Monday, November 17, 2008

Patience My Dear


I consider myself a relatively patient person. Waiting really doesn’t bother me. That’s probably one of the reason’s my favorite sport is…surf fishing. It’s not really a sport after all; it’s a study in patience. You bait your hook, you cast it into the surf, and—you wait.

Chapter three, verse twelve of the book of Colossians tells us, “As God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” So as Christians, along with being generally nice guys, we must also be…patient?

Some time ago I prayerfully submitted a collection of skits to a famous Christian drama publishing company. For a month I waited for a reply. Then an envelope came in the mail with the publishing company logo in the upper left corner! I opened it and read that they had received my submission in good condition! They were forwarding it to their lead reader for consideration! The letter also stated that it would take several months for them to reply back to me. Not a problem…I'm patient.

“Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Psalm 27:14

“I wait for you, O Lord; You will answer, O Lord my God.” Psalm 38:15

I’ve been told that God answers prayers in three ways: yes, no, and wait. Eight months later and still no word, I think I’m finding out that God is saying…wait. But I’m tired of waiting, Lord!

“I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry.” Psalm 40:1

There’s an old saying that goes, “Good things come to those who wait.” Okay, Lord, I guess I can wait a little bit longer. But please hurry!

No comments: