Saturday, December 29, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME AND RIP PIMP C


For as long as I can remember, I’ve been complaining about my birthday. Four days after Christmas, December 29th is quite possibly the worst time ever to be born. The only time worse would perhaps be, I don’t know, December 28, 27, 26 or the worst of all, December 25th! Can you imagine the conversation? I’ve recently learned that I have the same birthday as John Voight, Mary Tyler Moore, and Jude Law. Oh that’s nice…I share my birthday with Jesus Christ! You people with July birthdays have no idea what I’m talking about, but anyone blessed to have been born between say, December 23rd through December 30th know exactly what I mean when I say, “here’s your Christmas, and um birthday present.”

Sad as my birthday may sound, during my e-search of famous people that share my birthday, I found one whose birthday is even sadder still. I dedicate the remainder of this blog entry to Pimp C. You see today, December 29, 2007, Port Arthur, Texas native, Pimp C would have been 34 years old. Instead, on December 4, 2007, just 25 days shy of his birthday, Pimp C was found dead in his hotel room on the Sunset Strip in California. I admit that I’d never even heard of Pimp C before his untimely death, but I’m not completely ignorant to the hip hop genre. I can crank dat Solja Boy with the best of ‘em.

So what is my point…I have no idea, but I did find some interesting information that came out of the Pimp C funeral. The service in Port Arthur, Texas was led by Reverend John R. Adolph who began with a prayer: “The Bible says, ‘The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want.’ The trumpets shall sound and the dead in Christ will rise. Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord.” Instead of Pimp C songs, hymns were played between eulogies and prayers. Pimp’s mother, Mamma Wes, said that her son had researched the word pimp and found that the meaning had changed over the years. She said of him, “It once meant the nice dressed man who dealt with the girl in the corner. He discovered that pimpin’ now deals with all us from the ghetto who is trying to get out.”

Reverend Adolph asked everyone to gather around Pimp’s casket. The Reverend told the crowd that Pimp joined his church on November 18, and he didn’t even make it to December 18. He bowed his head and said, “Lord, it may be hard out there for a pimp, but there is hope in here for those who believe.”

Wait, I do have a point! I’m not positive, but judging from post funeral interviews with the ‘rap royalty’ in attendance, I believe that Brother Adolph must have then led the crowd in a prayer of salvation. James Prince, CEO of Rap-A-Lot Records agreed with Adolph, saying “It’s hard out here for a pimp, but I have hope in Jesus Christ. So I got hope today.” If James Prince heard it, so did Chamillionaire, Bun B, Trae, Mike Jones, Willie D, and Slim Thug.

The Apostle Paul said in Colossians 1:23, “If you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I have become a servant. Chad “Pimp C” Butler did not die in vain. More than 2,000 people heard the Gospel message as a result of his death.

Happy birthday Pimp C, and rest in peace. I hope I see you when I get to heaven.
Some quotes taken from article “Friends, family and fans come out to honor Pimp C” by: Joey Guerra and Eyder Peralta on www. Chron.com

2 comments:

Kaitlin a.k.a. Gilbert said...

Whoa!!!! That's awesome!!!!
HaPpY BiRtHdAy To YoU!!!!

Melisa said...

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday dear Annettttteee!
Happy Birthday to you!

Do you think I'll have to pay royalty to the two women who came up with that song? Can you believe it took TWO people?