Thursday, February 6, 2014

Homeschooling Can Be Murder – By: Susan Lyttek

To be honest, I stole this book from my girlfriend who won it at a writer's meeting. Just kidding, she gave it to me because I told her I liked the bull dog on the cover so much. Well, turns out that bulldog, named Jelly, have a pretty big role in the story.

Main character, Jeanine Talbott, has two young kids she homeschools and a husband who's a career military man. When her husband receives orders to re-locate, Jeanine let's him pick out and buy their new house. She’s reluctant to leave where they currently live because she feels bad for her kids having to move from the home and friends.

When she arrives at the new house she sees that her husband has bought a house next to a Civil War graveyard. As soon as the husband is called to leave on an army mission, strange noises are heard coming from the cemetery. This is upsetting for Jelly dog who manages to escape his yard, goes to the cemetery only to find a body...a fresh one.

Jeanine and the kids find themselves in the midst of a great mystery involving treasure hunters and town secrets. This was a fun read that any mom or even a young person would enjoy. I could really relate to the main character's feelings towards her kids and her husband and how familiar her life was to mine, except that I don't homeschool. Looking forward to more from this author!

Other readers have commented:

This book was different from most that I read...a little mystery, some suspense, and a dash of romance. Very unique and definitely worth the time!

I loved this mystery that twisted its way through a cemetery, underground tunnels and peoples lives and histories. We are "homeschooled" on how we can use knowledge, our own talents, love for family and friends and a commitment to God and following Him, to find the solutions for many problems, mysterious and otherwise. A good read for the entire family. I'm a grandmother and I loved it.


4 comments:

Carla Rossi said...

Thanks, Annette! I remember when you "stole" that book. Haha... There are a lot of good stories over at Pelican Book Group. Thanks for reading.

Annette O’Hare said...

And I look forward to reading many more! Thanks for commenting on my blog, Carla!

Susan Lyttek said...

Thanks for the wonderful and totally unexpected review! What a way to warm up a cold winter day.

Annette O’Hare said...

You're very welcome Susan! As you can tell, I really enjoyed your book!