Wednesday, February 27, 2013

It’s Called Steampunk…And I Like It!


Steam*punk [steem-puhngk] noun
A subgenre of science fiction and fantasy featuring advanced machines and other technology based on steam power of the 19th century and taking place in a recognizable historical period or a fantasy world.

Side note: There seems to be a huge debate on what is and is not actually steampunk. With all due respect, I’m seriously not here to argue that point as I am unqualified to do so.




Still don’t understand? Here’s a list of some movies I’ve seen that claim the “steampunk” genre:

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Sleepy Hollow (Staring Johnny Depp…Scream!)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Stardust (Highly recommend this movie)
The Brothers Grimm
The Prestige (Excellent movie)

Wow, it appears that I really like steampunk movies! That said, I would like to share my recent experience of having read my very first steampunk novel. Magnificent Devices is the first book in Shelley Adina’s Lady Of Devices steampunk series. Here is a short advertisement found on Ms. Adina’s website.

Lady Of Devices – Magnificent Devices

London, 1889. Victoria is Queen. Charles Darwin’s son is Prime Minister. And steam is the power that runs the world.

At 17, Claire Trevelyan, daughter of Viscount St. Ives, was expected to do nothing more than pour an elegant cup of tea, sew a fine seam, and catch a rich husband. Unfortunately, Claire’s talents lie not in the ballroom, but in the chemistry lab, where things have a regrettable habit of blowing up. When her father gambles the estate on the combustion engine and loses, Claire finds herself down and out on the mean streets of London. But being a young woman of resources and intellect, she turns fortune on its head. It’s not long before a new leader rises in the underworld, known only as the Lady of Devices.

When she meets Andrew Malvern, a member of the Royal Society of Engineers, she realizes her talents may encompass more than the invention of explosive devices. They may help her realize her dreams and his…if they can both stay alive long enough to see that sometimes the closest friendships can trigger the greatest betrayals…

This little blurb really caught my attention, but I have to admit it was the $0.00 price tag that sold me on the book. One click and the book popped up on my Kindle App. How easy is that? But here’s a little hint, I checked the price of the book on Kindle today, 2-26-13 and it’s already gone up to .99 cents, so hurry up and get it while it’s still cheap!

 
I had a bit of a hard time getting into the first chapter of the book because I didn’t know what to expect, but by chapter two I was completely in the groove. Shelley doesn’t mention anything about it in the book’s cover copy, and I don’t think it would cause any spoilers, but the best part of the book for me started in chapter 14 when she meets her new gang.

Shelley wrote the chapters about the children perfectly, from their thick cockney accents to their disheveled attire. I fell in love with them and raced through to the end of the book.

I would highly recommend this book. What have you got to lose, but .99 cents? How much did I like it? So much that I bought book two, Her Own Devices and book three, also called Magnificent Devices, earlier today.  Can’t wait to dive into these steampunk offerings. Bravo Shelley Adina on a job well done!




No comments: